Sunday, October 28, 2007

Weeks 9 & 10

A lot has happened since my last post. On Oct. 13, 2007, my mother died unexpectedly. It was very much a surprise. On top of that, my dad has been diagnosed with severe dementia and is now in an assisted living facility in Knoxville, Tennessee. The week after my mom's death, I had to go to a training workshop in Schwetzingen, near Heidelberg, which is where Stephen and Megh live. I got to spend an evening or two with them there. On Oct. 19, I flew back to the States to bury my mom and help my brother take care of my dad and their house. Stephen flew back also, and Cait and Drew were there too. Jacob is getting ready to move to Asheville and couldn't come. We missed having him there, but I was able to visit with him briefly on my way through Atlanta. The private family graveside service was held in Knoxville on Oct. 24, with close family and friends present. It was poignant and sweet, especially at the end when we all placed a gladiolus blossom on her casket and each said a private goodbye. The hardest part of that week was putting my dad in an assisted living facility. It is a very nice place, small and personal, but Dad can't have his car anymore, and he took that very hard. He is mostly lucid, but has periods of delusion and denial. Please be praying for him and for my brother, who is carrying the majority of the burden of taking care of Dad and Mom's estate and finances. Thank you to all of you who have been praying for us these past two weeks, and thanks to those who sent flowers, cards, etc. ( A special thank you to my cousin Lisa Skinner and her husband Steve, who generously gave Ben and me a place to stay and fed us very well. Ask me about Evil Jungle Prince sometime!) The lovely autumn tree photo was taken by Caitlin Barker Foreman.

Fall is officially here in Germany, with beautiful golden & green colors and crisp temperatures. Good news: Kitty flew back to Germany with me! She did very well on the flight over and is settling in quickly. It is nice to have company.

Only 7 more weeks until Ben comes over!

I can't wait to get back to work tomorrow, if I can stay awake. I know I have a lot to catch up on at work, so I thought I would do this blog before that all starts.

Here is a recent photo of my mom and dad with Drew.
I love you, Mom.
Nan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, Mom. I'm praying for you, and am glad I got to see you. Hooray for Kitty being there. Please pray for me too as crunch time in the semester approaches. LOVE.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Anonymous said...

Nan,

Life has been the usual Rice Rollercoaster so sorry not to have popped in before tonight ...

I'm so saddened to hear the news of your mother's passing & your father's new change. You and your family will be in my prayers.

My grandmother was hospitalized a few weeks ago & diagnosed with Cogestive Heart Failure (the same as my mom which caused her massive stroke). Gmother is home now and doing well. She is now on meds and a low sodium diet. It worried me to no end.

the tractor shed has been hectic, of course. We had the Duchess of Abercorn visit us and we shared such a lovely time with her. She will be bringing us back in the summer to do some peace work. My student actors created an original performance from her first poetry collection. It turned out well and she loved it so much she cried to hear and see her words come to life.
Adrian and our friend Jimmy have started a new artsy band called The Figurines - www.myspace.com/thefirgurinesire
check them out! Adrian even sings ...

Well, I miss you to no end. I'm so glad to hear that kitty is with you. And not long now, Ben too.

Charlotte wants to live with us and go to Saint ... I must get on the paper work and see what it will take.

I don't want to take up ALL your space! But, I sure do miss you!

Lots of love and prayers,
Molly (& Adrian)

Anonymous said...

Nan,
Sorry to hear about your recent loss and other challenges. Also, I apologize for not comunicating with you more frequently. However, I, like you, have several good intentions but.... My new adventure in the classroom is going well. We have an excellent principal who is very people focused and supportive of her staff. Most of the parents are also supportive and concerned. They are receptive to calls and requests for their support for getting the children to behave. I still have much to learn about the whole process, especially classroom control, but I am getting better. I do enjoy it, and I am thankful that I was assigned to the 6th grade. We are getting ready to read "Devil's Arithmetic" as a class read. I am also using your KBAR idea along with the gutters. Perhaps I can send you some photos before school ends. I wish you continued success. Thanks so much for all that you have contirbuted to my development and success. Your friend, Randy